source: http://img4.cookinglight.com/i/2010/08/1008p72-best-light-beers-m.jpg?300:300
I don’t drink.
Contrary to popular college social rituals, I like waking up and
remembering what I did the night before.
It doesn’t bother me that most other girls I know spend their Friday
nights at the campus frat houses: to each their own.
However, my low-key social life has not made for an easy
transition to waitress-ing.
Especially when there is a fairly popular bar in conjunction with said
restaurant.
Every single time a customer asks what sort of local brews
we serve, I have to do that thing where you hold up one finger, silently asking
for a moment, and shrink away to ask one of the other waiters.
It wouldn’t seem SO terrible if it was just this one
question, but I couldn’t name five beer brands off the top of my head if you
paid me. The first time I asked a
waiter what beers we serve, he told me just to name a few that I knew of, and
that the customer would probably just pick one of the brands I listed.
When I said that I didn’t know any, he
said, and I quote:
“What the hell do you do on the weekends?”
Well thank you.
Clearly everything on a college campus revolves around alcohol, and now
I’m being ridiculed at work for not knowing about beer.
It should also be noted that this particular low life did
not even tell me what kinds of beers I should tell customers we serve. This self-righteous, table-waiting
college dropout just shook his head and went on his way.
Don’t even get me started mixed drinks, because I’m not sure
I’ll ever be able to decipher what is a real drink, and when people are just
messing with me. I mean, who
thought it was a good idea to name a drink “Passed Out Naked on the Bathroom
Floor”?
Lesson learned: If you’re going to work in a restaurant, it
might not be a bad idea to attend a few parties, if only to observe the ever
sophisticated cocktails generally served by college students. Customers don’t think you’re quirky when
you tell them that you’re “not the world’s biggest alcohol expert.” Even if you smile.

Your frustration here is quite apparent. I am a person who knows most beers, even international brands so I am on the opposite spectrum of you. I can though relate to being in the dark about certain things with a job. You'll learn quick. Americans seem to be predictable with beer drinking. Good luck and keep it up.
ReplyDeleteI got quite a laugh reading this because I would be in the same boat as you! I used to work in a store in a shopping plaza and every once and a while someone would come in looking for the state store. I thought they were talking about real estate until my coworker stared me down and wondered why I was sending them across the town when it wasn't that far at all. I realized how naive I was and that although I don't drink I don't have to be totally in the dark about it.
ReplyDeleteThis is adorable. I have to agree with Keith- growing up in an Irish family... I know a thing or two about beer. I understand your frustration though! And to be honest, college parties rarely ever have beer worth drinking anyway!
ReplyDelete-Taylor M. McCarty
As the greek life representative for LA101H, I can say that Taylor is spot on about the beer at college parties.
DeleteI have to agree with Taylor here -- college parties aren't exactly the prime place to discover quality beers! I would totally be in your boat too.
ReplyDelete