http://kristicallaway.blogspot.com/2011/08/sir-is-there-supposed-to-be-rodent.html
I feel that given the bizarre happenings that continue to
prove to be “real life,” in this post I would share a smattering of this week’s
restaurant anecdotes. Prepare
yourself---I’ve been a mess.
1. After pulling an almost all-nighter for an exam Monday
night, I was exhausted. I really
shouldn’t have agreed to work, but what is a broke college girl to do? Needless to say, I spent Tuesday
evening carrying food up and down several flights of stairs. On one such trip, I set down a plate,
only to speak in French to the customer.
I’m not sure why it happened---I knew where I was, and that was not
France. But when the customer
looked up in disbelief and asked, “New York Strip Steak made medium rare?” I
nodded and replied “Oui, bien-sûr,” and walked away with a slap to the
forehead.
2. While handing over dirty dishes to a dish-boy last weekend,
I witnessed a coworker drop an entire crate of twenty ounce glasses. That’s forty-nine glasses shattering
all over a very small area of the kitchen during a dinner rush. I stood there for a moment, watching
the scene in horror, just like the rest of the cooks, servers, and
managers. Then, I gracefully told
the poor soul who dropped them, “If that was me, I’d be crying right now.” Not so funny part? They did.
3. One rather narrow dining room was recently rearranged to
fit more deuces (couples for you non-restaurant folk). Unfortunately for me, this meant that a
few particularly low-hanging lamps were now exposed to areas I had to
walk. It should also be noted that
I’m a tall girl. So when I went to
drop off a meal to an enthusiastic looking date, my forehead collided right
into a heavy antique light fixture.
I’m still using cover-up to hide the bruise.
Lesson learned: What can I say? There’s almost too many this
week to pick. Let’s go with choose
laughter over tears. No matter how
embarrassing you may act, you may as well roll with it. There’s no sense in crying all night.
It’s also prime blog material.

No comments:
Post a Comment