source: http://www.artizhay.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/food-on-floor.jpg
Ya know how when you’re sitting in a restaurant, you
casually watch servers fly by with those heavy trays loaded to the brim with
meals and drinks and condiments?
You probably sit there, resting your chin on your fist as you murmur to
your dining companion, “it would suck to drop one of those.”
Well, take it from me; it really, really sucks to drop one of those.
In my defense, I had been ordered by a particularly large
server (imagine a bro with biceps so big they could crack nuts) to carry a tray
he loaded to an upstairs party room.
Seeing the tray in question, I told him with certainty that I should not
carry it.
“Nope,” I shook my head. “There is no way I will make it up
the stairs with that thing.” I
held up my puny arm as evidence that I was not strong enough to lug the tray
anywhere. But to no avail, this
guy barked out a laugh and slapped me on the back as he ushered the tray onto
my shoulder. All I could do was
moan as I shuffled out of the pantry.
In total, there were four dinner plates (with food,
obviously), twelve individual side dishes, three steak knives, and two bottles
of ketchup precariously being held up by my arm. If I were to guess, I would say that it weighed thirty
pounds.
As I made my way through several dining rooms and up three
different sets of stairs, I could see my final destination. A tray-jack awaiting my arrival was in
sight. I sighed a breath of relief
that my arms hadn’t given out as I traversed the last step up.
But. I
shouldn’t have praised myself so early. I should have known that the one moment I thought I had
played it off cool would be the time that I ruined my carefully strategized
reputation.
That was the moment that I failed to lift my foot quite high
enough and I tipped forward, forcing the food off of the tray and on to the
floor (and my white button-up shirt, for that matter). Plates shattered, pasta scattered, and
one filet mignon encircled with bacon rolled toward the foot of a customer.
All I could do was shovel the now useless food onto my tray
while trying to maintain composure.
Did I mention that the entire dining room turning around to face
me? They did. Some laughed while others grimaced; still
others clapped.
Lord, was it painful.
Luckily for me, as I returned to the kitchen, the one cook
who is nice enough to take pity on me already had begun to remake some of the
lost meals. He gave me one of
those smiles that say “it-sucks-but-there-is-nothing-you-can-do-now.”
Because I looked so miserable, he picked up a plate behind
the cooking station, pointedly looked at me, and then dropped it. When everyone booed and cursed and
yelled at him, he just shrugged it off.
I hope he knows how much I appreciated that.
Lesson learned: don’t sweat the big stuff. Also, refuse to carry trays that you know
you can’t handle.

I'm enjoying your escapadeds of misfortune. (Not laughing at you, but empathizing, of course!)
ReplyDeleteI did in fact laugh out loud at this. I would be mortified if this was to happen to me and it's one of the reasons I always blow my mom off if she suggests I apply for a job at restaurants around me. I love this blog. Always a joy to read!
ReplyDeleteI love that the cook dropped the plate -- such a nice gesture. I know I've always been the person at the table saying, "Oh man, I would drop those things all the time." It seems like you handled it rather gracefully! I probably wouldn't have had the same luck. Tears definitely would have been had, haha.
ReplyDeleteI'm completely sorry this happened to you! I had to wait tables once, and those trays were no joke! Kudos to you for being a watiress for a source of income.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry! Least you now know that some trays are just way too large. They should be multiple trays. haha
ReplyDeleteI love this blog! I think it's really great that you're not letting these things bother you! I'm not a waitress but I'm sure it can't be an easy task! You write really well and make your posts funny! Great job!!
ReplyDelete